You can save 30 to 60 percent in time and costs, depending on the text type, by using SDL Trados in the translation process. This is achieved by using a translation memory (TM) that stores all of your multilingual material in a centralized database, which is constantly searched during translation. The same or similar sentences need never be translated more than once, as SDL Trados automatically reproduces and reuses existing text from the TM. At the same time, using SDL Trados ensures a high level of quality in the target languages: Approved text is reliably reused, no matter who the translator is, and the integration of terminology also ensures consistency within technical material.
Achieving your goals faster – this is how SDL describes the main direction while developing SDL Trados Studio 2019. Initial tests and insights seem to affirm this statement.
After installing the software, users can follow a setup wizard to configure the most important modules of the software in five steps. Further help is provided by the integrated tips and hints as well as video tutorials. They make it easier for beginners to get started and help experienced users to work with advanced features.
The second and more important assistant is used to create a new project. In the past, you had to navigate through a number of windows and many settings, but thanks to the new project assistant, this has now become an easy job. The difference here compared to older versions mainly lies in a clear design and logical steps. This combination for sure contributes to better project management in general.
Updating projects made more simple
Another major improvement is the “add file” function in the ribbon section for running projects. This eliminates the need to go deeper into the SDL Trados Studio functionality to add files. This feature is even more comprehensive because it provides the ability to run batch tasks, including custom actions and to add files as reference files only.
SDL Trados Studio 2019 now also includes the “update file” option, which allows you to easily and quickly import a new version of a file.
700 commands and 1300 settings – it is this wealth of features that SDL Trados Studio 2019 is currently offering. So in order for everyone to find their way around quickly, SDL has introduced the new “Tell me” technology. This feature is more than just a simple lookup, as it also contains contextual suggestions. Depending on the query, “Tell me” also provides quick access to the right functionality.
Improved translation memory management
SDL Trados Studio 2019 also gives you more control over the Translation Memory Editor. This will save you time in maintaining your translation resources. Per page up to a 1,000 translation units can be displayed, whereby specific pages or the last page of a TM can be accessed directly. This speeds up and facilitates the maintenance of TMs and the changing and updating of translations.
- Enhanced Alignment functionality
- Alignment editor: better scrolling and selecting of segments in the alignment editor.
- Split and insert segments in alignment file: split disconnected segments or insert new segments for cleaner results.
- Go To functionality: navigate quickly through aligned segments based on their status, quality or connection type for a more effective alignment review.
- Find functionality: search and find text in the alignment editor.
- Omit alignment metadata fields: a new option to omit alignment metadata during the translation memory import.
- Optimized Translation Memory
- Higher accuracy and better leverage for context and fuzzy matches.
- Improved recognition of Japanese full and half width source characters.
- Enhanced user guidance to ensure TM health when updating certain TM settings.
- Improved review flow: enhancements to track changes and TQA.
- Enhanced preview of graphics in XML files thanks to a new parameter in XSL stylesheets.
- SDL Language Cloud Terminology
- SDL Trados Studio is now fully integrated with SDL Language Cloud Terminology
And these are just some of the latest improvements and updates in SDL Trados Studio 2019. Do you want to find out more? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
+43 1 253 5 352
In a recent blog entry, SDL ascribes the new version of SDL Trados Studio 2017 a revolutionary translation approach. Whether that is the case, the future and of course your opinion will show. However, the way SDL Trados Studio has been (further) developed surely deserves every single attention. Because the answers received from the 2700 participants of the survey about “The trends and perspectives in the translation industry“, have largely been taken into account when developing SDL Trados Studio 2017.
In particular, it is the following major improvements of the world’s leading translation software, which help you to translate even better and in a more efficient way.
This new technology affects the functionality of the translation memory and improves consistency in two ways:
- Fuzzy matches are corrected automatically if you have parts of a sentence already translated. So for example, if you have already translated “I have a white car” and now wish to translate “I have a red car”, then Studio is capable to translate this sentence automatically, provided that “red” has already been translated.
- Small fragments of already translated segments are now proposed in a very intelligent manner.
This way you obtain precise proposals on the basis of previous translations. Which will not only speed up the translation process but will also ensure greater consistency.
Indeed, MT here stands for “Machine Translation” (MT). But this time, it can learn directly from you. Each time a segment is post edited, the MT engine learns from it and applies it to the next translation in real time.
- Increased productivity through more intelligent MT proposals
- Easy to use and to incorporate, no training required
- Completely safe, because no data is collected or shared
- No translation memory required to configure the MT engine
And there’s more to it … such as AutoSuggest for Asian languages, bringing together segments on hard line breaks, optimized filter functions – and that’s just for a starter.
Innovations in SDL Trados Studio 2015
This version of SDL Trados Studio contains many improved features in the following areas:
- Importing finalized target files: With the new version of SDL Trados Studio, you can reimport finalized files that were changed in the target format after translation, thus making the content available for your TM.
- Translatability of scanned PDF documents: Thanks to its built-in text recognition feature (OCR – Optical Character Recognition), Studio 2015 can convert simple PDF files, which previously had to be “manually” processed to translatable documents.
- AutoSuggest function: In order to increase the typing speed, SDL Trados Studio 2015 is equipped with a significantly enhanced AutoSuggest feature that can now also access TMs (also the results of concordance and fuzzy matches therein) and other dictionaries. Even integration of machine translation is now possible.
- Your productivity: Your translatable texts contain special characters? You are working on an extremely long document? Need a break? Studio 2015 has a number of intelligent, built-in functions that can help you save time and focus on your work.
- “Recyclability” of your work: Sometimes you work on a different language pair or into another language direction – then you do not have start all over again. Studio 2015 includes new, flexible options so that you can build on your previously finalized translations. For this purpose, the popular SDL OpenExchange App “AnyTM” is also integrated into SDL Trados Studio 2015.
… provides peace of mind: High-quality translations delivered to deadline for many global market leaders. As a technical and marketing specialist we combine 25 years’ worth of expertise in translation with technology developed by the Kaleidoscope Group and a global network of translators. This makes us the market-leading and most innovative translation agency in Austria.
With its products Trados Studio, GroupShare, WorldServer, Passolo, and MultiTerm, SDL is the global market leader in translation software. Its range of software helps you translate faster and more efficiently, while reducing costs and the time required for translation and review by up to 40 percent. We are happy to advise you on how you can make the best possible use of these products.
You can save 30 to 60 percent in time and costs, depending on the text type, by using the world’s leading translation software, SDL Trados, in the translation process. Translators edit, review, and manage translation projects and terminology entirely in SDL Trados Studio. Most training centers provide training in the software and the majority of professional translators are proficient users.
SDL GroupShare is the common working platform for localization teams of any size, who use SDL Trados Studio and SDL MultiTerm. Teams can collaborate on translation memories, project management, and terminology, allowing them to achieve significantly more efficient translation workflows. Assigning and archiving functions allow for even greater automation possibilities.
The SDL WorldServer workflow automation solution gives you the tools you need to bring together all of your company’s translation processes in one uniform, traceable, and managed system that avoids manual or redundant steps and drastically reduces transactional cost. You benefit from clearly defined and largely automated management of even the largest projects for the entire company.
Localizing software is a complex task involving developers, product managers, and translators. SDL Passolo makes the process quicker and easier for all parties: For translators it displays dialogs and menus on the screen for context. And for the development team it runs QA-checks and even compiles final target-files. What’s more, SDL Passolo is linked to SDL Trados and SDL MultiTerm.
SDL MultiTerm’s highly customizable database structure can be adapted precisely to your requirements. In fact, SDL MultiTerm is the only commercially available tool that can handle the demands of professional terminology management. MultiTerm’s tight integration into the SDL translation environment automatically provides the translator with the necessary terminology.
Queries come up in almost every translation project. Unfortunately, they are often considered a nuisance. Instead these queries present enormous potential for you to enhance quality and lower costs. As the majority of queries relate to terminology, it is important to adopt a holistic, collaborative approach in this area so that this potential can be fully exploited.
Do you want to organize translators’ queries once and for all – in a comprehensible and traceable way? Without relying on any Excel lists or other makeshift documents (which are never used by everyone involved for whatever reason)? Do you also want to improve the quality of the translations and source texts at the same time? Then we have the solution you have been looking for!
You want a seamless in-country review process for translators, project managers, reviewers, and experts? You want reviewers and experts to be involved without the need for specialist software skills and training? And with every review step documented automatically? Directly in the InDesign layout, too? And how about using the review for quality management? Take a look at globalReview!
Do you want to speed up working in SDL Trados Studio and SDL MultiTerm even further and customize it even more precisely to your needs? Then you should take a closer look at our little digital helpers: expertTools enable elegant processes and solutions that would otherwise be highly complex and time-consuming. Many of our expertTools are available both as a freelance and as a professional version.
Connecting Content is the ideal solution for connecting a content management, catalog, or technical editing system to an SDL Trados-based translation workflow. Connecting Content also works smoothly with a variety of other workflow systems and is a logical solution for automating time-consuming processes in this field. Once set up, it runs automatically on a server, automating your projects.
Excelling Studio makes working with Microsoft Excel files much easier. These files are often a stumbling block, especially when processed in translation tools. Excelling Studio from Kaleidoscope organizes your Excel files and prepares them for translation in SDL Trados Studio. The tool reads data from the columns and rows of excel files and converts them to a special XML format.
Unlike translation memory (assisting human translators by storing and re-using translations), machine-based translations are prepared completely by a computer. As a result, they provide unprecedented speed. Unpolished wording and grammatical blunders are the downsides. Machine translation is therefore an alternative to “no translation” or as additional input for CAT tools.
While you can simply download and try out some of our products for yourself, larger-scale solutions such as SCHEMA DocuManager or SDL WorldServer have extensive configuration options. To enable us to tailor these systems to your individual requirements, we can offer you specialist guidance and workshops. This will give you a clear picture of the desired and perfect solution for you.
Do you want tailored guidance and prompt support response times? Then you can rely on us! We provide support both for the SDL Trados products we market and for the software solutions we develop in-house, such as quickTerm, smartQuery, globalReview, and expertTools. In order to support the products from our other partners, we negotiate direct support and maintenance contracts on your behalf.